I came across this great collection of quotes that seemed to be very topical as we sprint into the Nominating Conventions for the political parties in Utah. Enjoy the humor and I’ll start the list with a quote my Democrat friend Steve shared on Facebook yesterday.
0. Decisions are made by those who show up. — Unknown
1. In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. — John Adams
2. If you don’t read the newspaper you are uninformed, if you do read the newspaper you are misinformed. — Mark Twain
3. Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But then I repeat myself. — Mark Twain
4. I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. — Winston Churchill
5. A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul. — George Bernard Shaw
6. A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money. — G. Gordon Liddy
7. Democracy must be something more than two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner. — James Bovard, Civil Libertarian (1994)
8. Foreign aid might be defined as a transfer of money from poor people in rich countries to rich people in poor countries. — Douglas Casey, Classmate of Bill Clinton at Georgetown University
9. Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys. — P.J. O’Rourke, Civil Libertarian
10. Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else. — Frederic Bastiat, French economist (1801-1850)
11. Government’s view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it. — Ronald Reagan (1986)
12. I don’t make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. — Will Rogers
13. If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it’s free! — P.J. O’Rourke
14. In general, the art of government consists of taking as much money as possible from one party of the citizens to give to the other. — Voltaire (1764)
15. Just because you do not take an interest in politics doesn’t mean politics won’t take an interest in you! — Pericles (430 B..C.)
16. No man’s life, liberty, or property is safe while the legislature is in session.. — Mark Twain (1866)
17. Talk is cheap…except when Congress does it. — Anonymous
18. The government is like a baby’s alimentary canal, with a happy appetite at one end and no responsibility at the other. — Ronald Reagan
19. The inherent vice of capitalism is the unequal sharing of the blessings. The inherent blessing of socialism is the equal sharing of misery. — Winston Churchill
20. The only difference between a tax man and a taxidermist is that the taxidermist leaves the skin. — Mark Twain
21. The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools. — Herbert Spencer, English Philosopher (1820-1903)
22. There is no distinctly Native American criminal class…save Congress. — Mark Twain
23. What this country needs are more unemployed politicians. — Edward Langley, Artist (1928-1995)
24. A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have. — Thomas Jefferson
25. We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. — Aesop
Shortly after we moved into this neighborhood I called the GOP offices looking to see where we should go for our Neighborhood Caucus. They told us we didn’t have a host yet so I volunteered to have it at my house. We had about a dozen people show up. This was our meeting tonight for the same area. What great growth! I was amazed by the quality of the people who showed up and the deep knowledge of what is going on with our government. I was honored to be elected as state delegate and precinct chair to represent this awesome group of citizens. I’ll do my best to be worthy of your trust.
On a related note, someone left behind a black notebook. If you are missing, or know someone else who is missing their black notebook I have it. Give me a ring so you can come by and pick it up.
And this wasn’t even a Super Bowl commercial. For my money, and I never eat at McD’s, this is one of the best commercials of the year. Enjoy.